How To Workout with a Full Time Job
If you’re not one of those 60,000 (give or take) people, then chances are CrossFit isn’t your job, it’s your passion or how you unwind, or just plainly: how you get fit. But how do you make sure that you can still fit in your workouts in an effective way? How do you effectively CrossFit with a Full Time Job?
Stick to a Schedule
It doesn’t matter if your in an office job (like me) or if you work from home, being consistent and sticking to a schedule is key. For example set a time that you are always going to workout, ie: at lunch or in the early morning and stick to it. The only way you miss a workout is if you aren’t physically able to go (aka too sick to move) or if work covers up your workout. I personally block out time on my calendar with a private event in outlook called “Gym”. It keeps people from scheduling things when I need to be working out and it has the bonus of giving me a reminder on my computer and on my phone. That gives me the benefit of being able to wrap up what I’m working on before I leave.
- Have a scheduled time that you workout and be accountable to it
- Setup a Back-up plan
- Wake up. The early morning is a great time to get up and start working out and most gyms will have a 5:30 or 6:00 am class that you can jump into before work.
Have a Backup Plan
As perfect as my schedule sounds, life happens. I’ll have an event at my son’s school that will put me in to work late, so I can’t really break away for lunch, or there’s a “crisis” at work that keeps me occupied. I have the benefit of having a wife that works for the YMCA, so I have a membership there that I can use if I’m pressed for time or just want to get a workout done. Not ideal, but it keeps me moving vs. skipping a workout.
- Try going to an evening class instead of a lunch class
- Is there another gym in the area that you can go to?
- Don’t underestimate bodyweight exercises. You can do these at your home, anytime.
Talk to Your Boss
Seriously. You might be surprised. Although a lot is going to be determined by your working relationship with your boss, sometimes a simple conversation of “Hey, if I come in a little early are you okay with me taking a little longer at lunch, as long as work keeps getting done?” will get you permission to get your workouts in at lunch. Or maybe ask if you can work 7:30 to 4:30 instead of 8-5, so you can make the 5pm WoD. I’m extremely lucky that my boss is a CrossFit-er as well, so he gets it. Maybe you’ll find out that your boss is too.
- If you have a good relationship, talk to your boss
- Be open to adjusting your work schedule to get your workout in
- Come up with several ideas to present to your boss
- If you are a boss, consider being flexible with your employees
- Share with your boss that people who exercise, tend to have more energy and are more productive during the day.
What are your ideas and suggestions for getting in your CrossFit workouts with a full-time job? Let me know in the comments below or on the EveryLastRep Facebook Page